A federal judge in San Francisco on Thursday ruled that the U.S. government has more evidence that the gunman who opened fire at the Democratic National Convention in Philadelphia on July 18 was planning an attack, including an online manifesto.
The decision by U.N. special rapporteur on terrorism, Adnan Khashoggi, on behalf of the United States, comes less than two weeks after the Justice Department requested more information on the manifesto and a separate indictment filed in Brooklyn against the gunman.
Khashoggis office is expected to deliver his report to the White House in the coming days.
Khazoggi was asked to examine the FBI’s investigation of the shooting, which led to the arrest of the gunman in February.
Federal investigators found that Khashaggis investigators had gathered “substantial evidence” linking Khashazzi to the attack, but not enough to establish probable cause that he was responsible.
Federal prosecutors are still pursuing a second indictment, but they could be released at a later date if they decide to move forward with a third.
The FBI’s Joint Terrorism Task Force had conducted extensive surveillance of the suspect and found evidence that he had been discussing plans to attack and was planning to commit acts of violence, federal prosecutors said in the statement.
The task force also concluded that Khazoggis actions had created a heightened risk of violence in the community, and he was likely to commit further violence in connection with the attack.
The investigation revealed a “significant number of items” indicating Khashoglis intentions, and “at least some of the items were related to plans for violence,” federal prosecutors added.
Khazzoggi also allegedly made contact with an online forum where members discussed the attacks in advance of the attack and said that he planned to “get it on the internet,” prosecutors said.
In addition, federal investigators found “substantially more material that showed he communicated with a number of people in connection to the conspiracy and that he may have been involved in the planning of the attacks,” prosecutors added in the filing.